Dilemma # 13 - Creating Beautiful Tablescapes
There is no reason to buy accessories if you are just going to set them down any old place. Make sure the accessories that you have chosen to fill your space exhibit who you are and what you are about. I have put together a few guidelines to follow when accessorizing your tables and surfaces; this should help guarantee a “pulled together” look every time.
1. The first step would be to clear the area that you are about to work on and gather all items that may be suitable for this space. Try to group like things together in a staging area. Next, choose your largest item to place first. Whether you center it or keep it to one side, you should find a home for this item before any other.
2. When placing items, vary the heights of the pieces, the next item you choose should be the next tallest item and then end with the smallest item. The human eye loves "movement" and when things are all the same size or height, the human eye finds it boring. Varying the heights of your objects creates this movement.
3. When placing objects for display, try to limit the number of items you use to an odd number. Groupings look better when placed in 3’s or 5’s or 7’s. If you have artwork hanging over your table or mantle this item can be counted as part of the grouping.
4. Tables make a great statement when the items placed on them represent a theme. Themes can be anything… a color, like all blue and white items, or a collection, like all vases, or a vintage, like all art deco. When you stay within the theme, the tablescape will make sense.
5. Perhaps you want to showcase a particular item that is of great importance to you. This can be accomplished by setting it apart from all other pieces within the display. You can give it importance by having it be the only piece on the table, or by leaving a generous amount of space between it and the other items. You could use books or a stand to elevate it up higher, therefore giving it more importance.
6. Finally, stay with the old adage that “Less is More” and try to limit your displays to a few items. If you have more accessories than you have space for, store some things away and rotate them out seasonally.
Accessories are a wonderful way to add the finishing touch to any room. Surround yourself with the things you love and that are important to you, after all… It’s All About You.